The two real culprits of unplayable music

This forum is a catch all for all posts that do not belong in other forums.

Re: The two real culprits of unplayable music

Postby jessiam » Mon May 01, 2017 8:00 am

Is this the reason why the codes I exported from this site plays differently in game? I noticed that some notes repeat themselves when they shouldn't (They don't repeat themselves when played in the website engine). I messed with the exported code in the unofficial app (Music Box app) and the way it fixed was to invert where the "sleep" line is from (ex):

SendInput {Numpad8 down}
Sleep, 500
SendInput {Numpad8 up}

to:
SendInput {Numpad8 down}
SendInput {Numpad8 up}
Sleep, 500

It seemed to have fixed the issue when playing in game but it totally sucks to have to manually rework the code you just exported, lol.
jessiam

Postby Artenuvielle » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:50 pm

This happens because the instrument you are using it with has only fixed length sounds. When you hold the key shorter than the actual sound length is, there is no problem because the ingame engine just stops the sound. When you holde the key longer than the sound length is there are two solutions:
1. Repeat the same sound. This is done by the ingame engine and results in you hearing the sound "twice".
2. Do nothing when the first sound has ended. This is done by the website. The downside of this is that you may have a tone over like 8 beats but is only hearable over the first 4 beats.
Artenuvielle

Postby XangLi » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:06 pm

Artenuvielle wrote:This happens because the instrument you are using it with has only fixed length sounds. When you hold the key shorter than the actual sound length is, there is no problem because the ingame engine just stops the sound. When you holde the key longer than the sound length is there are two solutions:
1. Repeat the same sound. This is done by the ingame engine and results in you hearing the sound "twice".
2. Do nothing when the first sound has ended. This is done by the website. The downside of this is that you may have a tone over like 8 beats but is only hearable over the first 4 beats.

That is wrong. Whether or not someone in-game is running a script that has a long rest to it on a note or a chord, or holding down a note or a chord manually during a long rest, notes and chords will repeat every 3 seconds during any rest lasting more than 3 seconds, notably on the Harp and the Lute. With that being said in mind, this used to not be a problem roughly 2 years ago. It is a bug that never got fixed during a time when Anet was trying to do something with the instruments so there was less cooldown on notes. After that, they failed to make the improvement, messed up the change octave buttons in the process (where gw2mb scripts did not run properly), and then ultimately had to roll back the instruments to use the old code they were based on.

The only stringed instrument that can actually hold a long rest longer than 3 seconds is the Bass Guitar, which does not repeat a second time until 6 seconds has passed. Therefore, the issue has absolutely nothing to do with the game engine, but everything to do with Anet's pro skills at messing things up, in this case, not allowing notes and chords to 'decay' properly when playing their fullest duration during a long rest.

With that being said, you are half right about one thing, and that is to curb repeated notes during rests, you have to play (or code in a script) a short rest, followed by playing another note or chord, and no, it does not have to be the same sound/note/chord to override an otherwise repeated note or chord.
XangLi

Postby Nephatite » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:13 pm

When I encounter this issue I choose to edit the macro and remove the " down" and the related " up" line from the script, replacing both lines "SendInput {Numpad3 Down}" & "SendInput {Numpad3 Up}" with a single "SendInput {Numpad 3}" for example. It solves these kinds of issues and can be done easily using excel. After replacing these you can remove the blank lines created or just leave them in the file. The downside to this is you can't see the keys being pressed in game, so it's harder to learn to play by hand.
Nephatite

Postby candylol » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:18 pm

I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work.
candylol

Return to General Discussion