Updated GW2MB Archive List

This forum is a catch all for all posts that do not belong in other forums.

Updated GW2MB Archive List

Postby proteininja » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:32 pm

For a while now there have been so many songs that the sorting and filtering functionality has been really laggy in the archive. On a whim, I decided to fix the problem with pagination.

There is still a significant 5 to 6 second load upon opening the library page, but now you should find that navigation after this load is much faster.
proteininja
Site Admin

Re: Updated GW2MB Archive List

Postby Valdrimari » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:25 pm

One page of songs and that can be sorted in alphabetical order or by instrument type on the same page is a lot better than many songs spread across multiple pages.

I honestly do not like the new pagination system. Lag or no lag, I would rather wait for the short load time than have pagination, because it made it much easier for viewers to look up songs, especially when viewers do a CTRL + F function in their web browser to find the keywords of a song they are looking for after typing in someone's username. Now viewers have to scroll through pages upon pages instead of having every song listed on one page.

Where on gw2mb has anyone complained about said load time, anyway? It was never an issue for as long I have been publishing music tabs. There is no 'vocal' complaints about it. I believe other fixes and features could have been implemented, as detailed in my 9 Features/Improvements we can really use on gw2mb thread a while back: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38

You fixed 1. in that list (I put a strike through it just recently), yet numbers 2., 4., 5., 6., 7. and the alternate fix detailed in 9. have still not been looked into. Most of all, if I had to choose just one, 4., the ability to edit and delete our comments. We can do it here on the Forums, yet not on our own songs, which never made sense.

And what about the bug here on the gw2mb forums where posts made 1-2 years ago are still displaying as 'NEW' posts when they are old? Posts should no longer be displayed as 'NEW' after 1 full month (at least).

P.S. If the pagination system is to stay, can you please make the page numbers occur near the top of the songs list and near the bottom at the same time to make it more efficient if users are at the top of the page or at the bottom of the page?
Valdrimari

Postby proteininja » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:27 am

I would encourage you to use the search box on the archive rather than ctrl+f.

The search box searches every available field (title, username, etc)

I could increase the number of songs per page, but i felt 50 was enough in combination with the search box. Without pagination the sorts and searches will take longer and longer and longer as more songs are added to the site. This change should help the site continue on into the future without issue.

As for the issues in your other thread. I appreciate you gathering the information, but I manage this website in my spare time and I don't plan on addressing the remaining issues any time soon.
proteininja
Site Admin

Postby Valdrimari » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:07 am

proteininja wrote:I would encourage you to use the search box on the archive rather than ctrl+f.

The search box searches every available field (title, username, etc)

I could increase the number of songs per page, but i felt 50 was enough in combination with the search box. Without pagination the sorts and searches will take longer and longer and longer as more songs are added to the site. This change should help the site continue on into the future without issue.

As for the issues in your other thread. I appreciate you gathering the information, but I manage this website in my spare time and I don't plan on addressing the remaining issues any time soon.

If Pagination is to stay:

1. There needs to be at least 100 Songs listed per page (there are currently 51 per page, not 50, by the way).

2. The clickable Page Numbers need to be at the top of the page somewhere just above the 'Sort by Song Name' button, that way users can navigate pages easier whether they are at the top of a page or at the bottom of a page.

3. Remnants of the old Infinite Scroll system need to be removed. Every time you hit the Archive button (with the pagination implementation), you can visually see the gray Scroll Bar on the right-hand side going from tiny (when loading all the songs first like it did before you added pagination) to big all of a sudden (when pagination kicks in afterward) when loading up all the songs on gw2mb.

That indicates (as you can visually see happening with the Scroll Bar) remnants of the old Infinite Scroll system are still there, trying to load the songs up like the old way before Pagination kicks in. In fact, Pagination should not even look like it is kicking in after hitting the Archive button; it should automatically show only 50 Songs have been loaded up on the very first page.

Even better, implement a button on the Archive page that opens a drop-down 'Settings' Window with the following two choices:

1. 'Navigate the Archive using Pagination'

Or

2. 'Navigate the Archive using Infinite Scroll'

With that being said, I did use the Search Box while using the old Infinite Scroll system, too, yet I also use CTRL + F after typing in a user's name to see what music they tabbed and from what game, series, etc. they came from all together on a single page. Now everything is split into pages, and technically, the site is loading up all those songs at the same speed as if there was no pagination.

Adding pagination does not just magically increase server performance. Pagination just gives off the illusion it is faster by loading a single page fast when the same amount of resources are being used to load the rest of the songs in the background on every other page. Source: https://softwareengineering.stackexchan ... oad-theory

To quote what one person said from that link, which aligns with my point in the above stated, "It varies depending on implementation. It will speed up rendering of a page, but it won't necessarily reduce the load on the server. Most naive pagination algorithms need to perform a query first to decide how many pages there should be, then query again to get the "paged" result set." end of quote

Proteininja wrote, "I manage this website in my spare time and I don't plan on addressing the remaining issues any time soon."

In other words, you are making excuses not to do much of anything (I created that thread almost 2 years ago) instead of 'making' the time for it. One thing I have learned about relationships be it with friends, a spouse, or even one's own customers, is when somebody says the equivalent of, "I don't have time for that" they are saying they do not care enough or do not care at all, because they refuse to 'make' the time. There is no nicer way to put it.

You have proven you are not going to do anymore than you need to do. If that is the case, then why not shut the site down if it is too much on your plate? Otherwise, if that is not the case, why did you make the comment you made? I do things in my freetime, too, yet I 'make' the time to maintain or finish projects I have started, not abandon them unless they become too much for me.

We understand (I understand) you maintain this site on your free time, which is great, yet we are the ones using your services, and we have even put money toward it to keep it running for many more years to come --- assuming most of the funds have been set aside for the site only --- considering your Total Cost of Hosting and Domain Ownership is only $147.05 (as stated on the front page) when you have received $500 this round, and then roughly $1,200 donated sometime between 2015 and 2016.

Given the reply you gave me, I get the impression you do not really care about the actual users who outlasted your activity on gw2mb, that just because you created the site in conjunction with the fact you do not frequent the site as much you used to, you think more important things and features should not be addressed sooner instead of 'not anytime soon', all while not understanding that had it not been for our continued activity (notably the big-name tabbers) and the donations, this site would be quite barren, there would be no donations, nothing.

You can then counter argue that had it not been for you creating the site, there would be no music, yet to that I say any website is useless even still if its services are not being used to bring traffic to it. You gave us these tools, and users like me have given you feedback on you how your site can be improved, yet you do not want to hear that or take much constructive criticism.

Conclusively, I hope this feedback motivates you to add a little more to gw2mb, because when users visually see where their donated money is going, they will feel good about it, and then you will likely receive even more donations to keep the site up and running.
Valdrimari

Postby proteininja » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:13 pm

Valdrimari, I'm sorry that my actions have angered you. I'm hoping that by taking a little time to explain myself you and other users who read this can come to understand my actions.

I created this site back when I played GW2 in order to make something that I originally wrote as a C# application for myself available to everyone playing GW2 as a webapp. I added a donation link to allow people who appreciated the work I've done to give me money.

You did bring up the amount on the homepage though and it was way off. My girlfriend and another friend sometimes pay me back by sending me money through paypal. Because the paypal I use for donations is also my personal paypal these transfers show up as donations on the tracker. I have now added code to exclude these two email addresses and the home page now accurately reflects donations to the site. It's $5.00 for the past 365 days and, in case your are curious, $311.27 since the first donation on 5/25/2014. This site was never meant to be a source of income. I did 95% of the coding before there was ever a donate button.

I really do appreciate the effort you put into gathering information and suggestions on my behalf, but that is what they are. Suggestions. If I choose not to act on them, that is my prerogative. If users decide to leave the site as a result of that choice, I'm not personally affected by that because I do not depend on this site for income.

I feel that the problem here is that there isn't really another option out there on the market, so when I don't feel like making improvements people are stuck with it. I can certainly empathize with that, but at the end of the day no one out there is entitled to my time and effort.

In an effort to provide some relief I will say this: If there is someone out there with the coding ability and the desire to improve this site, they can email me at proteininja@yahoo.com to discuss purchasing the source code, database, and domain name from me.

I put this site on the internet so that people passionate about music in GW2 had a place to collaborate. I believe that this site is accomplishing that goal despite any inconveniences users may experience from a lack of active enhancement and support.
proteininja
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion