9 Features/Improvements we can really use on gw2mb

This forum is a catch all for all posts that do not belong in other forums.

9 Features/Improvements we can really use on gw2mb

Postby Valdrimari » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:57 pm

Edit: A suggestion I meant to include has been added to 9. It has to do with deleting your Browsing Cookies and how doing so interferes with playing Songs on GW2MB when you revisit the site.

Helping make gw2mb a better place : )

1. There is a 'Zoom' bug when doing CTRL + Scroll Wheel in your Web Browser (I use Google Chrome) where the Increase Octave Button on the very right gets placed below the Skill Bar.

As shown in the image below, my Zoom in Google Chrome is at 90%. Anything below 100% Zoom causes this, yet anything above 100% Zoom does not.

[+] Open Spoiler to view the image of this visual bug

2. As shown in the mock-up image below, add a "This edit is minor. Your song will not be update bumped:" toggle box.

Oftentimes, I like to preserve the original date I submitted a piece. Not only that, when gw2mb listeners sort compositions by their dates, it can come off somewhat unfair that updated submissions get bumped to the very top of the list every time even when small changes/edits are made.

[+] Open Spoiler to view the mock-up image for this suggestion

3. As I write this, unless you are viewing images on the gw2mb Forums in a Full Browser Window, I notice images (like the ones here) cut off when using the 'Snap' feature in Windows to put two windows side-by-side.

Other Forums I use have a Horizontal Scroll Bar at the very bottom of a Forum Post to view the rest of an otherwise cut-off image by using your Cursor on the Horizontal Scroll Bar or tilting your Scroll Wheel Left of Right in the event the 'Snap' feature in Windows is used.

4. The ability to Edit our comments (like we can on the Forums) on any composition we submit to keep our listeners updated, etc. when new changes/edits are made.

As of now, if I leave something out by mistake I wanted to mention in my initial comment, I have to submit a new comment on top of my initial comment on the same composition.

5. The sound of the Mariner's Horn on the site does not match the new, better sound of the Mariner's Horn in-game (Anet improved it). The new Marine's Horn sound would make it much easier to translate/tab music for it because it has a better tenor.

6. As shown in the mock-up image below, add a Pause Button that turns into a Resume Button when pressed rather than just a Playback Button that turns into a Stop Button that forces replay.

7. Make a slightly wider, longer Export Song Window, about the size of the Load Song Window. The Export Song Window that pops up when you hit the Export Button is a bit constrained and can use a re-size. Sometimes when I am looking at somebody else's Syntax out of curiosity how they wrote it, I like to see more of it at once than just two lines. The Scroll Bars are very small.

8. No matter what Octave you're on for any instrument, the site does not allow certain key presses when Hotkey Mode is enabled to produce a Chord in Edit Mode.

For example, when trying to press certain combinations of keys at once to make a chord like EFG together, it only plays one of the notes or sometimes none of the notes, yet pressing EFA together works to make a chord. The same applies when certain combinations of 4 notes or more are pressed at once.

9. When you delete your Browsing Cookies, revisit GW2MB, and then play any Song (or Playback your own stuff), it sounds really off because the Notes have to be reloaded all over again. Not everyone saves all their Internet History (leaving traces of things like saved passwords, etc. for hackers is not good), so this is a thing every time when someone who deletes their Browsing Cookies revisits GW2MB.

This can also mislead new listeners on GW2MB into thinking the first Song they played in the list is terrible because of this.

Furthermore, even though I tried to fix the issue above with a submission I made on the Bass instrument titled "A B C - Deleted Browsing Cookies? Play this to re-save notes." 1. it is only a 2-Octave Instrument (it doesn't cover the third Octave for 3-Octave Instruments), and 2. by doing a simple test, I found that every set of Notes for each Instrument is different from one another. Therefore, playing all the Notes on the Bass does not solve the Playback issue globally for all other instruments.

A possible fix for this issue would be to add a 'Reload Notes' Button 1/8th of an inch above the 'Sort by Rating' Button that reloads every Note from every Instrument in the background with a "Deleted Browsing Cookies? Please wait while your Notes are being loaded" message when pressed.

That is, unless there is a better fix for this issue where deleting Browsing Cookies will not affect the files Instrument Notes are based on.

Thank you for looking into this, Proteininja.
Valdrimari
Last edited by Valdrimari on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Valdrimari

Re: 8 Features/Improvements we can really use on gw2mb

Postby proteininja » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:41 am

Thank you for writing this up. I'll go through these and update this thread as I fix thing. No ETA when I'll have time to work on it, but if I have time this list is the first place I'll go for TODO items.
proteininja
Site Admin

Postby Valdrimari » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:17 am

proteininja wrote:Thank you for writing this up. I'll go through these and update this thread as I fix thing. No ETA when I'll have time to work on it, but if I have time this list is the first place I'll go for TODO items.

You are very welcome.

Meanwhile, I will be spending a lot of time myself to bring this community more together by producing the very best GW2MB Music Notation guide. In fact, I am writing it up now : )

Cheers!
Valdrimari
Valdrimari

Postby proteininja » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:07 pm

3 and 7 have been addressed.
proteininja
Site Admin

Postby Valdrimari » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:06 pm

proteininja wrote:3 and 7 have been addressed.

I was going to use the Slash [s][/s] BBCode to cross out 3 and 7 in my OP you addressed today, but the Forums here do not support the Slash [s][/s] BBCode yet, so I did [addressed] instead.

With that being said, thank you so much for your time.
Valdrimari

Re: 9 Features/Improvements we can really use on gw2mb

Postby proteininja » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:19 pm

Just a comment on issue #9

It is very tricky getting peoples browsers to cache audio. I could take the time to code a button which plays every note at zero volume in quick succession, but for now I am content to have people rely on the songs you created for each instrument.

also, while working on another project I found out you can trick browsers into automatically precaching audio by storing the audio in text files and then decoding it to be played. I figured this out on an unrelated project, but I may come back here and implement it at some point. (It adds a lot of work to the audio file creation process)
proteininja
Site Admin

Postby Valdrimari » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:52 am

proteininja wrote:Just a comment on issue #9

It is very tricky getting peoples browsers to cache audio. I could take the time to code a button which plays every note at zero volume in quick succession, but for now I am content to have people rely on the songs you created for each instrument.

A button to play all Notes (muted) at once from every instrument in fast succession is a great idea.

The reason why the submissions I made for each instrument to play their Notes in fast succession is useless is because the other instruments (other than the Bass) do not show at all times at the very top of the list, even when given their A B C keywords.

proteininja wrote:also, while working on another project I found out you can trick browsers into automatically precaching audio by storing the audio in text files and then decoding it to be played. I figured this out on an unrelated project, but I may come back here and implement it at some point. (It adds a lot of work to the audio file creation process)

Very interesting! I look forward to that implementation if/when you work on it.
Valdrimari

Postby JMFD » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:17 pm

The ability to "link" songs in the archive would be nice - "derived from" or "alternative version of" etc.. Though I guess this can be done in the comments!
JMFD

Return to General Discussion